Metal Saved My Life

In some ways, I can barely remember what life was like before Mute Prophet. Such incredible things have happened in the last few years, it almost feels like a completely different existence.

In fact, before the band, I’d actually never sung a note! Seriously. So how did I end up singing symphonic metal, of all things?

Well, the thing is…metal literally saved my life.

How so? Well…here’s the part that’s hard to share, but necessary.

So I had this crazy ex-boyfriend.

And one night he decided to jump me when I was walking home, beat me half-to-death, rape me, and leave me for dead on a fucking sidewalk.

Thankfully a passerby found me and took me to a hospital. But even after all my injuries had healed and I was cleared to go home, I couldn’t feel. Everything felt fake, like a very convincing dream.

Turns out, the physical trauma resulted in a mental illness called Depersonalzation Derealization Disorder – basically you feel so emotionally numb that you’re not even sure what’s real and what’s a dream.

It left me in a really dark place. I drank heavily, I abused drugs, I cut myself for the endorphin high (cliche, I know, but it worked for a little while), and I fantasized almost hourly about swallowing my entire medicine cabinet because I was so sick of numbness.

But then…something I never expected…

Kevin (our lead guitarist) and I had been best friends for years. And when I opened up to him about how utterly broken I was, he said the last thing I would have expected: “Try singing.”

Now bear in mind, again, I’d never sung a note in my life before this. So understandably I was reluctant.

But he basically argued, “Look, you’re suicidal anyway, how much more could you possibly have to lose? It might help you the way guitar helps me.”

He pulled up Nemo by Nightwish and essentially told me to do my best to sing along. Very beginner-friendly, right?

But as the song went on, I started to feel something again, for the first time in months. And as that chorus kicked in – “All I wish is to dream again” – I still get goosebumps thinking about how it felt. Tears were streaming down my face, and I seriously lost all control over my voice – it was like my body knew what it needed to do on its own.

By the time I was done, Kevin had this shocked look on his face. And naturally I assumed it was shock at how horrible I must have sounded, and apologized profusely for subjecting him to that.

But no, as you’ve probably guessed, instead he asked me to officially sing for him in a band he was starting!

Since then, life’s become an adventure that’s all about Mute Prophet.

We’ve recorded and released 3 great albums completely independently, we have an incredible community of supporters on Patreon, and we’re lucky enough to share our music with new listeners every single day. Yeah, I had to go through something pretty fucked up to get here, but you know what? It was worth it.

Music truly does have the power to change lives. That’s the reason I felt compelled to share this story, because everyone has their pains and struggles. But with music – and especially metal – we can triumph over anything! No matter what you’re going through, metal’s there for you. And here’s hoping that Mute Prophet becomes one of your new favorites 🙂

So please, leave a comment below or email me and let me know how you feel about this post, what you think of the music you’ve heard so far, or even just to say hi! It would mean a lot.

Thank you again for reading, and please do leave a comment below or shoot me an email if you feel like saying hi ❤️

• Eric says:

Reading your story is a sad tale and I’m sorry you went through that. Im glad I stumbled upon your music it is definitely good stuff and you should keep going. I remember when music saved my life and it good to hear when it does that for other people. I do hope to hear more of you music.

• Andrew says:

First off amazing story of how music saved you and I have only listened to the free songs I got but love your music

• Bobby Voyles says:

Out of everything that happened to you arose a beautiful and talented woman with an amazing voice.

• Jason Wright says:

Adrienne, I am very happy that I was able to make you smile. My work is complete 😉

• Jason Wright says:

Wow that is quite the ordeal that you had gone through Adrienne! I can’t even begin to imagine what you were going through. It is very inspiring the power of metal and how it helped to save you! I am thankful for your perseverance and strength in sharing your story with us! You are completely amazing and I have to say that Mute Prophet rocks!! I consider myself lucky to have been introduced to your music and you have a lifelong fan. Long live Metal! Keep doing what you are doing and always stay Heavy! 🤘♥️🤘

• Adrienne Odenthal says:

Hey Jason, thank you so much! This is such an unbelievably sweet comment – I’m blown away, legit I can’t stop smiling ❤️ ❤️❤️

• Willliam Brown says:

Someone that tried to break you physically and emotionally, thats sickening. But you turned your life around, started singing and Kevin was there to help you, all respect to him for helping you pull through it all, but i also give you high respect as well for fighting through all this, finding somewhere that you belong, Mute Prophet has became your life, your way forward. Adrienne, you are finding yourself, but do not worry not only do you have the band you also have all of us, your fans

• Adrienne Odenthal says:

William, that means the world to me ❤️ I really do feel like this band has changed my life completely, and I absolutely feel the support from you guys. Thank you so much for being so incredibly kind ❤️

• Michael Parker says:

You are brave for your honesty, you have an incredible voice and your songs are awesome ,keep it up 🤟🤟

• Brian Allen says:

Thank you for sharing your story. So sorry that happened to you. But you’re right, it off the ashes of hurt and loss came your voice. You sound amazing and so does the rest of your band. Music has pulled me from very dark places, especially when they sing about deep feelings like you do. Keep up the good work. I’m grateful for you guys and all that you do.

• Adrienne Odenthal says:

Thank you so much Brian! I definitely relate to that feeling, it’s crazy how many dark places music can cast a light into. Your comment really means a lot to me, I’m looking forward to sharing more music with you 🙂

• JAY KEY says:

Music has pulled me through so many rough patches in life,You three have impressed me So very much, thanks for sharing your lives and music with us, looking forward to this journey.

• Adrienne Odenthal says:

Hey Jay, thank you so much! That really means a lot, thank you for being with us on this journey ❤️

• Ellyse says:

Music is what grounds me where nothing else can. Thanks for sharing. The music I have heard so far is great. First got into your band last year but lost the songs I had. Glad I found them again. Thanks